January 18, 2016
Equinix Data Centers Anchor Southern Cross Cable Network between Australia and North America
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Jan. 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the Southern Cross Cable Network has expanded its data center presence and now directly connects between Equinix's International Business Exchange (IBX®) data centers in Los Angeles (LA1) and Silicon Valley (SV1 and SV8) to its existing deployment in Sydney (SY1). The fiber optic submarine cable provides a high-capacity fiber route between Sydney, Australia and the West Coast of the United States, with up to 100G end-to-end connectivity for increased performance.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Explosive growth in mobile, content delivery, video streaming, tele-presence, social media, and cloud-based data traffic offers tremendous revenue opportunities for high-margin corporate and retail services such as Ethernet and MPLS. To remain competitive, network operators are expanding their infrastructures to meet demand for these new services—and are turning to colocation data centers that not only offer all the network-to-network connectivity of a telehouse, but also act as aggregation points for concentrations of customers in network-centric industries.
- The Southern Cross cable system offers protected trans-pacific routes among Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and the West Coast of the US. The cables are made up of three fiber-pairs, each capable of transmitting wavelengths at 100G+ per second. This level of high-performance connectivity is increasingly required by global businesses running latency-sensitive applications that may suffer and result end a poor end-user experience.
- Equinix's Sydney, LA and Silicon Valley data centers serve as carrier-neutral Points of Presence (PoP) locations for the Southern Cross cable which is a direct fiber pathway under the Pacific ocean, connecting the two continents with the high capacity to support growing bandwidth needs between North America and Australia.
- Platform Equinix™ is the home of many mature business ecosystems, such as electronic trading which gives business the ability to interconnect with partners, customers and employees across geographies through direct, secure physical and virtual connections, to accelerate business performance and create new opportunities.
- Located near the Sydney Central Business District, Australia's largest corporate and financial center, Equinix colocation facilities are the only place where companies can set up direct links to both of the continent's two largest peering points: the Southern Cross cable head, a trans-Pacific network of telecommunications cables, and the PIPE Pacific Cable network that runs from Australia to Guam. The Southern Cross Cable system facilitates low-latency applications such as financial trading and growth of the finance community between both locations.
- Global businesses are increasing using more capacity to run IT operations including cloud-based applications. Equinix offers direct connectivity to leading cloud service providers in 21 markets globally ™ including Silicon Valley, LA and Sydney via the Equinix Cloud Exchange™. This includes access to providers such as (but not limited to): Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Office 365, Google Cloud Platform, SoftLayer, and Oracle Cloud. These dedicated, private connections reduce network costs and provide higher, more consistent network performance than Internet-based connections for enterprise customers looking to build hybrid clouds.
- Equinix and Southern Cross will be participating in the Pacific Telecommunications Council Conference (PTC16) event taking place January 17-20, 2016 in Honolulu, Hawaii. For more information about the event, visit http://www.ptc.org/ptc16/.
- Craige Sloots, director marketing, Southern Cross:
"Southern Cross has been experiencing increased demand for our connectivity services between North America and Australia. We continue to looks for ways to increase our customer experience, and Equinix provides an ideal environment for customers to interconnect with other businesses between these key content locations."
- Jim Poole, vice president, Global Service Providers, Equinix:
"Equinix is increasingly seeing cable system providers come into our facilities because they house a host of business ecosystems that provide a rich opportunity for businesses looking to move into new markets or with new partners. We remain committed to providing fast, secure and interconnected routes between key markets and the Southern Cross Cable System is a great addition to help strengthen that offering."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contact (Americas), Liam Rose, +1 (650) 598-6590, email@example.com; Equinix Media Contact (Asia-Pacific), Lorraine Little-Bigelow, + (852) 2970 7742, firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, email@example.com, Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, firstname.lastname@example.org