August 22, 2016
Equinix Opens New Data Center in Sydney
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., and SYDNEY, Aug. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the opening of its latest International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Sydney, known as SY4. Centrally located, the new $97 million USD facility supports the strong demand for Platform Equinix™ in Australia. Currently operating two significant data center campuses in Australia, Equinix is adding capacity to meet growing demand for interconnection and colocation services, particularly as the trends in hybrid and multi cloud adoption continue, and as Sydney becomes a digital economy hotspot.
SY4 has already welcomed more than 20 customers, including managed hosting provider Servers Australia, cloud provider Zettagrid, managed network service provider Connectivity IT, and independent broadband network The Grex Group. SY4 will also be an additional Point of Presence (PoP) for network providers including TPG Telecom and Vocus, and the location of the Australian submarine cable head for Hawaiki, the second trans-Pacific cable route connecting Australia and New Zealand to Hawaii and the West Coast of the United States.
Key facts/ Highlights
- Located in Alexandria, less than three miles from Sydney's central business district, phase one of SY4 provides a total capacity of 1,500 cabinets. Upon completion of the second and final phase, the facility will provide a total capacity of 3,000 cabinets with a total usable floor space of more than 135,000 square feet.
- The Equinix Sydney campus is a business hub for over 600 companies, including 140 network service providers (NSPs) and more than 225 cloud and IT service providers, providing the most interconnected group of data centers in Australia. It is also the only place where companies can set up direct links to both of the continent's two largest Internet peering points, as well as key submarine cable systems, including the Southern Cross Cable Head, the PIPE Pacific Cable, and the soon to be launched Hawaiki cable. With a completion date of June 2018, Hawaiki will be the latest addition to the rich ecosystem of submarine cables that connect Equinix's customers globally, with SY4 customers assured of the most direct connection to the Hawaiki cable.
- After experiencing significant growth in the last two years, long-time Equinix customer Servers Australia has deployed additional infrastructure in SY4. Servers Australia and its customers are now benefiting from increased geo-redundancy by leveraging Equinix's Sydney and Melbourne facilities.
- TPG and Vocus, along with other network providers, have made SY4 an on-net facility; ensuring customers can leverage direct connectivity to their networks.
- With SY4, Equinix now has 5 data centers in Australia, including SY1, SY2 and SY3 in Sydney, and the recently expanded ME1 facility in Melbourne. In total, Equinix has 29 IBX data centers in APAC, across five countries and eight metros, and operates more than 146 data centers globally across 40 metros.
- Jared Hirst, managing director, Servers Australia:
"We're experiencing rapid growth, and Equinix has certainly demonstrated their commitment to supporting our accelerating business. What started as 20 cabinets is now 100, and we've now deployed infrastructure across multiple Equinix sites, including SY4. It's incredibly valuable for us to have a partner we can rely on to scale our business seamlessly. We chose Equinix in the first instance for the convenience of access to their data centres in Sydney and Melbourne, their global network, and ultimately, the ease in which they do business. Today, we're leveraging the Equinix brand as a market leader in interconnection and we're thrilled to be part of the milestone that is SY4."
- Nathan Harman, managing director, Zettagrid:
"As Zettagrid continues its rapid expansion into Sydney as Australia's largest and most advanced self-service cloud infrastructure platform, we needed a compelling and reliable solution for our environment. Equinix's new SY4 facility was an obvious choice for us. With broad access to the leading network service providers, the Equinix campus enables us to continue to build the most compelling solutions for our customers. SY4's state of the art design means we can offer our customers the most resilient platform on the market."
- Michael Hart, director, The Grex Group:
"For The Grex Group, connectivity to our service providers was key to our network solution. Being able to leverage over 600 companies already located in Equinix's Sydney Campus directly from SY4 ensures we can offer simple and affordable solutions to our customers. By Equinix providing direct cross connect capability to all of our partners they have made launching new solutions easy and cost effective."
- Remi Galasso, CEO, Hawaiki:
"Hawaiki is thrilled to confirm our new submarine cable into Australia will terminate directly inside Equinix's SY4 facility. We chose Equinix SY4 as the perfect location to place the head end of our cable system for access to the over 140 network service providers and over 225 cloud and IT providers. These parties will be able to directly connect to our cable system at Equinix and gain some of the fastest connectivity to international locations, including the US West coast. "
- Jeremy Deutsch, managing director Australia, Equinix:
"The opening of SY4 is Equinix's response to growing demand from Australian businesses for colocation, hybrid cloud, and greater interconnection. Colocation is now the center for the new hybrid IT model and we're pleased to see more Australian enterprises actively looking for the best way to leverage their architectures and capitalize on cloud services. They're recognizing the limitations of on-premise data centers, and making the move to leverage highly interconnected solutions that connect their people, clouds and data. Australian companies continue to lead the world in the adoption of interconnection, and we are proud that Equinix's SY4 will enable further opportunities for all of our customers."
- Equinix Sydney data centers [website]
- Equinix Sydney Campus [video]
- Equinix announces completion of US$28 million Expansion of Melbourne Data Centre [press release]
- Hawaiki Chooses Equinix for Australian Cable Landing Station [press release]
- Equinix Data Centers Anchor Southern Cross Cable Network between Australia and North America [press release]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Video - http://youtu.be/mafFF3yIKOY
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contact (Asia-Pacific): Angelika Tam, + (852) 2970 7761, firstname.lastname@example.org or Equinix Media Contact (Australia): Bianca Georgiou, Howorth, +61 2 8281 3833, Bianca@howorth.com.au or Equinix Media Contact (Americas): Michelle Lindeman, +1 (650) 598 6361, email@example.com or Equinix Investor Relations Contacts: Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org or Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, email@example.com